Here is a great little article explaining the role of soil microbes in agriculture and how powerful adding biology to your soil can be!
Did you know that Soil Microbes:
- make up more than 1/3 off all life on earth!
- may number in the billions in a single teaspoon of healthy soil
- are made of up thousands of species, only 1% of which have been identified
- feed primarily on exudates, carbohydrates excreted by plants, which plants devote 40% or more of their energy to produce
- decompose organic matter
- improve soil structure
- gather nutrients
- store nutrients
- convert nutrients into plant-available forms
- process nutrients and water from the surrounding soil for plant use
- have interacted with and benefitted plants since before recorded history!